Monday, March 29, 2010

Heart Rate Training Works

One of my biggest problems with running has been that I have to take walk breaks to catch my breath. On Sunday, I was supposed to run 2 hours. I only had 1.5 hours so I had to make it count. I started off from my house and ran to Kings Park Shopping center, past Lake Braddock SS, turned right at Burke Centre Parkway, and then turned around at Wheaton Ave. I didn't have to stop once that whole time. I kept my heart rate right in the middle of zone 2, and I felt like I could have run all day. The only reason I did stop when I did is that I had to pee in the woods. I turned around, ran back towards Lake Braddock, made a right on Lake Braddock Road, and came home from Southampton. All told, it took me 90 minutes to run 8.1 miles. I think that if I hadn't had my heart rate monitor, I would have run the same amount, but I would have had to take more walk breaks.

My feet still hurt while I was running, but not as badly as they usually do. So I'm hopeful that the orthotics are working.

We're leaving for the Catskills Mountains tomorrow for some skiing. I plan on bringing my bike and running shoes, and swim suit, so I can keep up with my training.

When I first started this journey, Malinda said, "You really have to love the training because you never know what will happen on race day." I'd have to agree with her and I am loving the training.

1 comment: