Monday, May 10, 2010

DNF

I was more nervous for the Kinetic Half Ironman than I've ever been for a race.

Race morning, I felt rushed getting transition set up. I thought I had lost my socks, I couldn't find my water bottles to fill up my aero bottle, I barely made it out of transition before they kicked everybody out.

Swim: The first 500 yards are the hardest for me. I take the strokes very slowly, but I still find myself going on my back a lot and breast stroking in places. Once I turned the corner, however, I finally got into my rhythm and cruised in. My watch said 45 minutes...an all-time PR for me! I found out later that the buoys had been blown short, but it was still a fast time.

T1: Had some trouble zipping up my bike jersey. Spoke with Donna and we were surprised at how fast we had swam.

Bike: Had my bike in its easiest gears because the first part of the bike course is straight uphill. Made it onto the course and was by myself for a long time, it seemed. Finally, the fastest people started passing me. Then I started passing people, who in turn leap frogged me. The winds started up. At one point, I was going 5 MPH DOWNHILL, the wind was blowing me so hard. It was hard to stay safe, especially with all the trucks and boats on the road. I was kind of hoping for a mechanical failure so I could just stop because I was getting more and more tired and going slower and slower. I would tell myself, just go 10 more miles, then see how you feel. When I got to 50 miles, I couldn't stop, so I kept going, just 6 miles more. It felt like the course was all uphill with a head wind.

I rode into transition and was stopped by a race official, who took my chip. Walter was there with me and we both told her that I could finish the race in the 2 hours and 45 minutes that were left. I only had to go 13 miles in 2:45. Surely, I could do that, even with lots of walking.

No dice, she said. These were race director's orders. I had never heard of this before in such a small race. On the race website, it said you had to be done in 8 hours, but there was no mention of a bike cut-off. I looked at Walter and he said, "just run without a chip." So, I took off my bike shoes, racked my bike, and put on my running clothes.

I ran the first lap very slowly. Well, I walked a lot of it. I did get to talk to lots of people, one who mentioned that this was a "death march." After the first loop, I decided to keep going. After the second loop, I was done. Walter and Alex ran in with me and I stopped short of the finish line chute. Four miles short of a half ironman.

This was supposed to be a training run, so lessons learned: I need more time on my bike. Even though it was so windy, I could probably have gone harder. I need more time running. I managed to run at least half the time, but I think I was so shot from the bike that that made it even more difficult. My swimming is coming along great. It's become my favorite part. This is good and bad: good because I was the most afraid of swimming, and bad because it's the shortest part of the race.

After the "race" I felt so bad I didn't even want to stay for my massage that I'd signed up for. I just wanted to go home. So I slept on the way home, took a shower and then a nap, dinner, then bed by 9 pm on Saturday.

My first real DNF.

2 comments:

  1. Aww B you still did awesome! Knocking out the run even without an official timing chip takes buckets of dedication and perseverance. It's a finish in my book!
    -Dakota

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bibiana, having had DNF events on the road to IM (in the same race)I know how you feel, I had a similar experience at Kinetic last season. You guys had some challenging conditions on the bike on Saturday with those wind gusts. You did NOT QUIT even when you were doing 5MPH downhill and then even after they pulled your chip, you went out and ran anyway and got in 8 miles. Draw on this DNF, look at your nutrition choices on race day, the conditions and your emotional state and find ways that you can "plan for the possibility" next time so you have solutions already in place. DNFs are hard but you can learn from them and be a STRONGER, SMARTER, MORE EXPERIENCE Triathlete from them. Don't lose FAITH IN YOU! You can do this! YOU CAN GO LONG! Just regroup and figure out what you would do different if you stated having these issues early in IM CDA. LiveSTRONG!!! Holly

    ReplyDelete